[Gpdd] CARE: Feeding question

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 8 17:44:02 EDT 2007

Mike T. Pig is not only a LAPS pig, he seemed to be trying to be a
teacup poodle for a while there, so it seems one can overfeed a pig.
:-)  He is already three and a half pounds (over 1600 grams) and is
under vet's orders to not gain more weight. He always has plenty of hay
and water. He eats Oxbow Cavy Cuisine pellets, but he is strictly
limited to a half tablespoon twice a day or he starts gaining again.
The most festive feeding is Salad Time (always capitalized!), when he
gets a small plate with romaine, other leafy greens, a baby carrot,
parsley, bell pepper, maybe some cucumber, maybe some basil if my
garden is overproducing again, maybe a tasty weed or two, whatever
looks good. It is vitally important to use the small plate and stop
filling it when stuff falls off, no matter how loud the wheeking gets.
In addition to Salad Time, he often sees a number of snacks,
particularly if he puts on the mega-cute face or his mind control
powers are strong on a particular day. LOL. I'm told he gets a Morning
Bribe before I get moving in the morning; I know he gets two Oxbow
Critter Berries in the evening after Housekeeping (aka Pig World
cleanout), one during Lap Time and one when he goes home for the night.
I have to be the Mean Slave and remind Steve Slave not to give him too
many treats, but I'm not 100% certain he listens to me. I think the
boys of the house might have their own secret club for treat sneaking.
:-)

-ginger
co-slave to Mike T. Pig
remembering Butterscotch J. Furpants, Clover Bud, and Niles Cougar,
well-fed pigs all