[Gpdd] Nutrition: To Lynn about Guinea pig Foods

Teresa Hummel teresah81 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 03:04:30 EDT 2007

I have 2 seperate meal plans I have to do for my pigs.
As Willow is on a strict diet (She weighs in at a
hefty 3 1/2 lbs) and Hannah is still a baby. My
morning feeding is 1/4 pellets for willow and Hannah
in the morning. Since Willow acts like she is starving
all day long, she eats her pellets in about 10 minutes
flat. They than get a good handful of hay that will
last them till their night feeding. At night, Willow
gets a large handful of hay at night along with her
veggies which rotate every week. The common veggie in
her daily diet is Red, green, or romaine lettuce
(Which is switched once a week), parsley or cilantro,
and green papers. I only give cucumbers(causes pigs to
retain water if given alot), carrots, spinach (And it
causes gas), fruits as treats 3 times a week (once for
willow).

I have also switch my pigs over between 8-10 months
over to timothy based pellets. (oxbow and Kaytee have
them). They are not as high in protein and calcium.
They keep better weight and seem to be healthier. I
have never had weight problems while they're on
timothy based pellets.

Sincerely,
Teresa, Willow & Hannah