[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Single paralysed back leg

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Mon Sep 3 11:00:58 EDT 2007

Panic stations! My Cherry, aged 4 1/2, didn't come out for food this
morning. When I got her out and put her beside the food, I noticed one of her  rear
legs was outstretched behind her, abnormally. Long story short - this  single
leg seems to be "paralysed", in that she seems unable to move it at  all.

She can scoot around with it just dragging behind her. I have put her in
with Claude and put both on vet bed. She hasn't lost weight or appetite, all
seems normal apart from this leg.

I know slaves have posted before about rear end paralysis, and I have Peter
Gurney's "Piggy Potions", so know about administering calcium. I have some
tablets that have 800mg calcium plus Vitamin D. Peter says 500mg calcium, so do
you think half a tablet would be OK? I'd rather underdose than overdose. I
was  thinking of crushing it and putting it on a bit of banana?

But is this likely to be a calcium deficiency? Has anyone seen this happen
in just one leg? I know an X-ray would seem an obvious next step, but even if I
 could persuade my local vet to do one (and strap the piggie to a pillow so
she  didn't need an anaesthetic - I've read the CCT advice!), I don't think
either of  us would know what to do when we saw the result, whatever it was. She
doesn't  really live in an environment where a fall would seem possible. They
do throw  the houses about though - could a wooden house have landed on her
leg and broken  it?

Cherry was diagnosed as having a weak heart over a year ago when the Cavies
Castle rodentologists visited. She is occasionally rattly, but so often with
no  ill effects that I just accept she is like that - Peter Gurney talks about
such  piggies. Could she have had some kind of stroke?

What should I do? Could the calcium do any harm, or is it a good idea to
try? I have some alfafa powder from Galens Garden - should I syringe feed her
some of that? Anyone any other bright ideas? This is so scarey!

Debbie