[Gpdd] HEALTH Single paralysed back leg

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Sep 3 13:08:45 EDT 2007

Debbie,

My Miss Piggy had paralysis in just the one back leg. This came on overnight. I followed Peter's advice from his "Proper Care of GPs" book, which is to give 2 300mg.calcium lactate tablets twice a day for the first day and then once a day until the piggy is up and about again. After the first day's tablets she was mobile again so I just gave her a couple more days of the tablets to make sure. She never developed paralysis again.

In view of your lack of a good cavy vet in France, I'd have a go with half of one of your tablets. I'd crush it and mix it with a little water and then syringe it in but if Cherry will eat all of the banana piece that's probably as good a way of getting it in as any. The calcium will certainly not do her any harm and you have to try something.

Like Cherry, Miss Piggy never stopped eating and just dragged herself around to reach the food and water.

More recently, Truffle was paralysed in one back leg but he was very off colour and wouldn't eat. Cavies' Castle confirmed that he had suffered a stroke, from which you may remember, he didn't recover.

I wonder if your vet could diagnose a broken leg without an Xray? What happens if you try to move Cherry's leg yourself. I'm sure that she would complain if you tried to move it and there was a break.

My Rolo ended up with one back leg stretched out stiff beside him when he developed arthritis but that came on over a period of time and Cherry's condition has come on overnight just like the description on Peter's book.

I'm not surprised that you are scared without a competent vet on hand. However much we may know about treating piggies there is always the need for an expert with the right equipment and a cupboard full of drugs.

All the best with Cherry.

Penny and the Piggyfriends, forever grateful that Cavies' Castle is only 45 minutes drive away.