[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Cherry update - calcium additives

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 03:03:27 EDT 2007

Many thanks to all who have expressed condolences over Claude's sad
departure - I will try to thank you personally, but life is more hectic than  usual at
present, so I'm needing to prioritise, and of course, Cherry is  currently a
priority.

Because I didn't want to leave Claude, I rang a local pharmacy to ask about
liquid calcium or 500mg tablets. He didn't have anything in liquid form, but
said he had tablets, so I sent my partner, saying I couldn't use anything
effervescent in water, only something crushable. He brought back 500mg tablets,
upon which I immediately took one out and crushed it, THEN read the label. Bad
 mistake - each tablet contains aspartame, sorbitol and saccharose.

I remember posting once before about aspartame, which was in a tonic I'd
bought for Red Dandy, and the general opinion here seemed to be not to risk it,
so I didn't. I didn't risk these calcium tablets either, so have been cutting
about two thirds of an 800mg calcium tablet from ASDA (Walmart) and giving
her  that in mashed banana or melon juice - I did use orange juice one dose, but
then  something nagged at the back of my mind that orange juice prevented the
gut from  absorbing calcium - did I dream that or read it somewhere?

Anyway, I gave Cherry 3 doses 8 hours apart the first day and 2 doses 12
hours apart yesterday, as Pete Gurney suggests in Piggy Potions, but can still
see no improvement. Cherry still seems fine in herself, eating and somehow
scooting around. She shows no sign of pain when I manipulate the leg - I know
they are prey animals and hide signs of pain, but they do squeal when one nicks
their toes clipping claws, so surely she would show some sign if her leg was
hurting? In which case, presumably there is no break?

I have her indoors, along with Boulotte and Soulage, who have both been
losing weight. I did put her on Vetbed, but somehow a claw got caught in it and
she was dragging the Vetbed around, so I decided that was not such a good idea
and put them back on straw - I know hay would be better, but I am short at
present and the local farmer still hasn't got back to me regarding
availability.  I have enough for eating, but can't really spare it for bedding.

Penny, can you tell me exactly what the calcium product was you used with
your piggy in similar circumstances, and I'll ask my daughter to try to buy and
send me some. Does what you use have any additives? Does liquid Osteocare
contain additives, and if so, what? Does anyone know whether there is a time
limit to this? I mean, if it doesn't get fixed soon, might it never? Also, I
worry about kidney stones - isn't too much calcium a cause of these. She
actually seems to like the syringe feeding of the stuff in banana or melon, and  I'm
hoping it's doing some good, but I'd hate to think I might be syringing in
something with the potential to harm her. She trusts me - it is my duty to try
to help.

This is a tremendous worry to me, of course. All advice gratefully  received.

Condolences to anyone who has recently lost a piggie and to whom I have
omitted to send individual condolences. There just seems to be a lot going on
right now, sorry.

Debbie