[Gpdd] [CARE] Males with females in the room

Melissa Taylor allcreatures at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:52:48 EDT 2008

Hi, fellow GPDDers!

I'm a longtime member who has owned guinea pigs for over 20 years, with my first almost living to nine! :) However, I've always had females only. Right now I have two females in a cage, and a male (named Alfie) living separately.

I've tried to read many accounts about how to introduce a male friend to Alfie. I'm comfortable, in general, with introducing new piggies due to doing this so many times over the years with females.

The one thing I'm *not* sure on is what males will do if they're in a cage together with no females . . . but the females are in the same room. Have any of you housed opposite gender guinea pigs in the same room? Will males bicker about the females present in the room, even though they're not in the same cage?

Thank you for any input! :)

Melissa