[Gpdd] (Bridge) Peppermint

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 12:43:00 EDT 2008

Corrine and Michael,

We were so sorry to read of little Peppermint's passing. I understand your trials of trying to find a cavy competent vet, as I had that problem when I lived on O'ahu myself.

Your situation reminds me of what I experienced with my little Serendipity shortly after I moved to North Carolina a few years ago: I noticed that she seemed to be breathing "funny". That's the only way I could explain it to the vet, who hardly knew anything about piggies. She put Sera on Baytril and she seemed to get better. Then a few weeks later, I came home from school on a Friday and Sera greeted me as she usually did, but had a lot of fluid in her nose and her breathing sounded "snotty". Again, I took her to the same vet, who put her on Baytril yet again and said if she wasn't better by Monday we'd start her on Lasix. Well she didn't make it until Monday; in fact, she passed that Friday night. Unlike you, I wasn't able to hold her in her last moments. She passed in the night, alone, in her cage. I still can't forgive myself for that. I keep thinking that I should have pushed the vet for the Lasix right then, or maybe even taken her to another vet
 for a second opinion. Or that I should have at least sat up with her that night. The emergency clinic here doesn't even see piggies, only cats and dogs, so that wasn't an option. There are so many "what-if's" that I still think about.

Sera was my absolute favorite piggy ever; I am crying now as I think of her. Like you, I feel a little guilty that I had a "favorite". But there is still a Sera-sized hole in my heart, and there always will be.

Corrine, please, PLEASE don't think that you killed Peppermint. You did everything you could for her, and you held her in her dying moments. I know she was comforted by your presence. At the end, when she was doing the "running" you described, she was not in pain. At that point the brain releases a chemical ( I forget what it's called) so they don't feel pain or anxiety. Like Peter Gurney, I like to think that they are having a last romp in this life, and that they are remembering all the pleasant times they had with us. I truly believe that Peppermint will be waiting for you at the Bridge when it is your time, just as I believe that my beloved Serendipity will be waiting for me.

Please hang in there. I know you have a lot going on, what with the move and all, but you've got your other piggies to be strong for. I know it's hard, believe me. Some days, I think of all the precious piggies that I've lost and I think to myself, "Why do I keep these little critters that have such a very short life span when it hurts so much to lose them?" But then I think of just how happy they make me and I know that they are my passion.

Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time, and healing wheeks are coming your way.

-Stacy and the Squee Squad