[Gpdd] Health: Toby's teeth and Guiny's fur

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Wed Dec 31 13:04:09 EST 2008

Mieke, we're very sorry to hear about Toby's teeth.  Although we haven't
had any experience with teeth broken near the gums, we did have a lot of
experience this year and last year with Tumbleweed, who'd lost a bottom
tooth.  To make a long story short, we handfed Tumbleweed for a year,
cutting his veggies into long strips and feeding them into his mouth.
Like Toby, Tumbleweed had problems getting the food "started."  Once it
was partway in his mouth, he would do well.  We cut everything into
strips -- carrots, cucumber, turnip root (not the greens), tomatoes, etc.

Others might be able to offer more advice about what to do in your
specific case.  Please don't feel bad.  Piggies are notorious for trying
to jump to the floor when we haven't yet gotten them down to a safe level.

Does Guiny have black flakes in her fur?  Is she a long-haired piggie?
Sometimes piggies, especially long-haired ones, will develop a yeast
problem.  The yeast looks like the black flakes.  Joey had this (he was
a Texel), and we bathed him in Malaseb shampoo, which was available from
our vet.  The problem begin to go away almost immediately.  Just a
thought.  I am not sure if Malaseb would have the same name there, but I
can look on the label if you need more information.

Our best wishes to both Toby and Guiny.

Cindy, Tumbleweed, and Friday