[Gpdd] MISC Cold Weather

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Jan 3 06:17:47 EST 2008

Donna,

Sorry to read that your piggies have to live outside. I have just finished cleaning out my pens and am glad that I do not have to do this outside as it is currently snowing heavily. I hope that you live somewhere with a dry climate, as it is the damp that is so dangerous for piggies rather than the cold. I would also worry about their drinking water freezing and hungry predators.

But you asked about those wheat bags, one of which I bought one for myself a while ago. I work out of doors and intended to put it in my coat pocket to help keep out the chill. Mine is a rectangle that fits into a fleecy bag rather than a toy but the principle is the same. The instructions that came with it warned that the bag could feel damp for the first few uses. I have tried heating it in the microwave numerous times since and the damned thing still feels damp. I have given up with it and would not recommend it for piggies as the damp would be worse than the cold. I had previously tried one of the gel pads that could be microwaved but these were recalled as being unsafe.

If your girls cannot convince you to bring them indoors, give them piles of hay to burrow in and remember that cover every night.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.