[Gpdd] Care - Sandy, Choosing a girl

Marie-Louise Korterink marie-louise at mweb.co.za
Wed Jan 9 16:19:08 EST 2008

Sandy,

You said in your mail: "girl pigs really need to be
spayed, such a hi percentage get hormone or tumor or other problems in their
female parts".
I was astonished at this comment. I have had, and have, many sows of different ages and have not yet had any hormone problems, tumors or problems with their female parts. I'm sure these problems do occur but surely it is the exception and not the rule?

Is this the view of many GPDD members?

Re: Parasitical infestation - Kirsten
Ivermectin actually refers to the ingredient and the injectable preparation is often referred to as Ivomec. They also have it here in South Africa so I'm sure it will be known by the same name in Canada.
According to V.C.G. Richardson, author of Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs the dose when given per injection is 0.02ml/kg which can be diluted 1 : 10 to produce a dose of 0.2ml. Repeated at 10-14 day intervals.
It is said that it can be given orally in an undiluted form. 2 drops for an adult guinea pig.

If they don't have any parasites, it cannot do harm, some people use it preventatively.

Marie-Louise