[Gpdd] Fw: (CARE) tumblweweeds abcess

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Mon May 5 14:54:40 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: warmbreath
To: calliope at geeksnet.com
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 11:48 AM
Subject: (CARE) tumbleweeds' abscess

Dear Cindy,   I would like to share with you a could thins I have learned on the etherbun website for rabbits

1.. Don't use acidophilus its the probiotic for milk, pigs don't eat milk so it wont help, get one called Benebac  either from the vet or the health food store, sorry I don't know which

2 in rabbits abscess and other infections are usually hard to clear up and the course of antibiotics is extended to at least a month, some times much longer

if the antibiotic fails they can sometimes implant beads into the  wound these beads are lased with the antibiotic but it sound like your Tumbleweeds' wound is very small.  Also if you need another treatment my vet uses cloramphenicol which a lot of docs wont use because it not legal to use on humans. To use it on pigs  you glove up, goggles covering clothes.  the problem is it a tiny faction of people it can cause aplastic anemia, very bad.  When i had a pig with abscess in chest that had dripped down from ears we put the cloramphenicol in DMSO and put it in he ears, and then just used the antibiotic itself to flush the wound, its a very effective treatment and very effective antibiotic

If you have perfect confidence in your doc that's great i know you prob do as you re so experienced with piggies  if for any reason you want to check out  new one you can go can go to the houserabbit society homepage they have a list, also you can subscribe to etherbun  Google it and sign up as a member just write a note that says as the title "need bunny savvy vet in your city your state"
you don't need to write anything in the message or bother to explain that it's for a piggy.  The membership of etherbun us huge

Keep after this abscess and make sure it doesn't drip down into his chest area be feeling for knot or lumps in his chest
I know you guys will fight the good fight I hope you don't have to go to round 2
best regards
Sandy  and Manny the Boar