[Gpdd] Health/Diabetes Help/Glipizide?

blaaco at yahoo.com blaaco at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 09:30:17 EDT 2008

HI All,
I was wondering if anyone here here has experience
with a Diabetic Guinea Pig and/or the use of
Glipizide?
I recently had to take 3 of my female Guinea Pigs back
into rescue that were placed back in 06.The owner
although she loved them said something was wrong with
the eyes of one of my girls and "couldnt afford a vet
bill".
I told her if she wasn't going to take her as part of
my contract and the proper care of them I was coming
to get them,which I did last Monday night.I took the
first girl"Ebony" to my vet Tuesday.She has
cataracts,is almost fully blind,and is Diabetic.We put
her on Glipizide.All 3 of the girls were obese.
I took the other 2 girls in on Thursday and Ebony back
in to retest her.The other 2 girls had normal Glucose
levels at 107 and 111.Ebony is responding to the oral
meds and hers was down from 285 to 167,which is great.
Can anyone here offer any info or experience with this
and this medication.I have read some cases like the
one on guinealynx but would love any more info or
experience I can find.I know very little about this
and this medication,how it works,how long it
lasts,etc.
Thanks,Beth

Owned By:
U2  "Dori" (White Chicken)
CAG "Oliver"
Lovie "Peaches"
Tiel "Snow"(Ben's Birdie)
Katrina Mutt "Dixie"
Schnoodle "Molly-Ryanne"
Snowshoe "Mia"(Elisha's Kitty)
Guinea Pigs"Ginger&Spice"(Ben's Piggies)
Hubby "John" and 2 Wonderful Kids "Elisha"&"Benjamin"

Rainbow Bridge: Piggy "Onyx" Aug.29th,2007,the biggest cuddle bug ever,Beloved "Ryan" October 29th 2007 Our Std.Poodle of almost 14 years will be sadly missed forever! Piggy "Smore" March 18th,2008 Rescued from hell to heaven for almost 3 wonderful years.
God Bless All Creatures Great & Small,We Too Love Them All!