[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Alaina

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 14:21:50 EST 2008

Jean.

We're glad to hear that Alaina's lump was "only" an abscess (a lump is alarming, no matter what it is.) My little Willie got a huge one and it seemed to spring up overnight--we had to lance it twice before the doctor decided to do surgery to remove the capsule. She was afraid it might come back otherwise.

Abscesses can form from bites, but the ones under the neck are more commonly caused from a sharp piece of hay scratching/piercing the inside of the mouth causing an open wound. Since the roots of the teeth are open, the bacteria tend to travel toward the chin and an abscess forms. Most often, the bacteria is Streptococcus. It helps to have the abscess cultured, as sometimes it is an aerobic bacteria that is harder to get rid of.

We'll keep Alaina in our thoughts and send healing wheeks her way.

-Stacy and the Squee Squad