[Gpdd] HEALTH: Abscesses

luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 16 08:17:08 EST 2008

Hello all,
I was very relieved to hear that Alaina's lump was just an abscess. Of
course, nothing is "just" with our piggies, but at least this is something
we are familiar with and know how to take care of. I just wanted to say
that it's important to keep the wound open and flushed, allowing it to
heal from the inside out. When it closes too quickly, then another abscess
can form, because the nasties inside haven't had a chance to drain out.
I've had several piggies with abscesses, with no complications, thank
goodness.

One nice note: There's a lovely park in Los Angeles where people can have
trees planted as memorials for special family members. Just yesterday my
sister had a red maple planted in memory of "Ernie, the guinea pig", as
he's now listed in their Memory Book.
Luita
Bert and Cinja, still missing Ernie