[Gpdd] I need some advice...

L. Chávez eyoresnorz at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 5 13:53:32 EDT 2008

I used to be an active poster when I had a herd of eleven.  I have been down to one piggie for the last few years, so I have retreated to lurking.

I am now faced with making a decision about my little Josephine...  She is six years old, and over the last few months has dropped a lot of weight.  She's still very active, eat and drinks normally.  She's been checked out, and other than her slenderness has been healthy.  Over the last month, she has slowed down quite a bit in her movement around her cage.  She lives in a two story condo that is 2'x2' on both levels.  She now only used about half the space of the first floor unless I entice her to the other areas of the cage.  In the last week, she is opting to move around even less.  I was down with a migraine for a couple of days, and in that time did not spend quality time with her.  Now that I am better, I go to spend one on one time with her, and one of her eyes has crusted over and she has been sitting in her waste.  I have cleaned her and her cage up, she squeaking, and moving around normally.  She seems normal and happy and healthy, but I'm wondering about her quality of life.  She is not moving around her cage without outside stimulation.  I have food on one side, and water on the other.  She will go back and forth between them when she wants one or the other, but otherwise sits in one spot.

I'm at a loss.  I want to ask other piggie folks for their opinions.  My trusted vet is 2 hours away from me.  The one I have been seeing locally I don't have a lot of faith in at the moment. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.