[Gpdd] HEALTH A narrow escape

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Aug 1 13:18:48 EDT 2009

In the very many years that I have had Piggyfriends, I have never had a boar with a stone. Imagine, therefore, my horror when Copper started squeaking when peeing.

I started him on a course of treatment for cystitis, hoping against hope that this was the cause of his squeak but it soon became apparent that there was more to it than a mere bladder infection.

I took him to see the Rodentologists dreading the worst.

Copper was laying on his back on the examination table so that he could be checked over. He was being felt for any tender areas when he decided to pee and, along with the stream of urine, out shot a stone! The Rodentologists were astonished as they had never seen that happen before and they have treated hundreds, probably thousands of piggies.

Copper appeared to have suffered no damage in expelling the stone and was happily munching parsley on the examination table within seconds. When I picked up the stone, I could not imagine how it could have passed through a boar's narrow urethra but there was the proof.

What a relief. I shall watch him very carefully as he could very well develop another stone, which might not pass so easily but what a narrow escape from surgery! I wonder if I can buy Polycitra in the UK?

Penny and the relieved Piggyfriends.