[Gpdd] [CARE]: Pain and Rimadyl

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 9 12:33:49 EDT 2009

Dear all

I have no desire to rock the boat as Ann is giving out very good advice, but
feel I should add one thing about Rimadyl.

I found Rimadyl (also known as Carprofen) to be helpful to my guinea pig
when he was poorly, but there is an important warning with this drug.  If
your guinea pig is known to, or suspected of, having kidney or liver damage,
then this drug is not suitable.  (Increased thirst can be a sign of kidney
problems -- but there could be other reasons, too.)

My guinea pig was given Rimadyl, and in less than 5 to 6 weeks, died of
kidney failure.  (He did not have a life-threatening illness for requiring
the Rimadyl.)  I cannot tell you for absolute certain what the cause of his
kidney failure actually was, as he was not autopised, but I feel it's
important to alert owners with a gp with kidney/liver damage to avoid
Rimadyl if it were offered.

However, I am aware that Rimadyl is usually extremely well-tolerated by
guinea-pigs.

Pain relief is very important to an unwell gp.  See
http://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Kind regards

Carole