[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Truffles update

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 17:19:29 EST 2009

It depends entirely on where the sore spot is but it could be an abscess and
if so needs antibiotics, piggy safe ones, and if it accessible it should
either be drained or removed as a capsule   We have had an extensive debate
here recently about whether to use Metacam as your doc suggests, or Rimadyl
(after you get to the vet, before hand using ibuprofen as its felt that both
are safer than Metacam, Metacam is very easy to overdose and cause damage to
liver.

Lastly  you have correctly guessed that because she tries to eat but drops
the food she's either having a mechanical problem with the teeth, which the
vet has ruled out, or a pain problem that prevents her from completing the
bit of food. It may be this abscess. And the pain med Metacam alone is not
going to fix it, it must be found and depending on where it is give a
treatment to heal it . In the meantime syringing very liquid Critical Care
and pumpkin several times a day is in order so she doesn't lose weight  and
nutrition, and at worst slide into stasis. Even if you have to get up once
at night remember piggies eat all the time, and we need to mimic that in our
syringe feeding habits. Offer assorted finely chopped leaves on at a time.
soft hay anything she can get in.  so more diagnosing needs to be done and
pain meds only will not treat an abscess or infection.

Sounds like you are doing excellent supportive treatments, now all you need
to do is find he disease process and fix that
love, Sandy and Sammy   BTW  use rolled up towels to hold her still for
x-ray, no anesthesia