[Gpdd] HEALTH: Blossom

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Dec 8 04:23:41 EST 2009

Corrine and Michael,

I second ME's post wholeheartedly.

I have lost count of the number of piggies that I have syringe fed over many
years and they always start to clean their whiskers when they have had
enough so that is the time to stop. I just give them some water after that
to clean out their mouths and give them the extra fluid.

Might you find it easier to feed using a 1ml. syringe with the top cut off?
I use those and they are much less unwieldy than a 10ml. plus you can get
the syringe way further down the side of piggy's mouth.

If one of your girls has a UTI it is likely that she will cry out when
peeing ( but they don't always do this ). Your vet will be able to take a
sample when you may be able to see the colour of the urine or, if not, he
can test it. My pigs generally oblige as soon as they are placed on the
examining table. It is also possible that the culprit may have passed a
small stone, with accompanying spots of blood. Do try Sandy's suggestion of
the divider and white towels so that you know which piggy is doing it.

Are they both on painkillers? A pig in pain does not want to eat.

I am sending all the encouragement that is possible in an email. I know all
about sleep deprivation due to sick piggies.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.