[Gpdd] HEALTH Alana

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Dec 12 16:18:31 EST 2009

Jean and Andy,

As soon as I started reading your post about Alana, I was hoping that your vet had treated her with Lasix and when I read further down, I was so relieved to find that she had done so.

I always keep a few diuretic tablets in my emergency piggy first aid kit ( Furosemide ). You never know when you might need to give a diuretic as this condition can come on so quickly.

Last month I came home to find my Aubrey in a similar condition to your Alana, having been fine when I went out. He needed more than my emergency treatment so he was rushed over to my Rodentologists where he received their expert attention. His breathing was noisy and laboured and he was diagnosed with heart arrhythmia and was kept in their hospital where he had several doses of diuretics and bisolvon plus antibiotics.

He was very poorly for a couple of days and was not expected to last the next night but the following morning, they were surprised to see him shouting for his breakfast. I could not believe it when I called for a bulletin only to be told that he was eating up cucumber as fast as he could go. They were as surprised as me.

He came home shortly afterwards and is running around as though nothing had happened. I keep a very careful watch on him ( as I do all of my Piggyfriends ) but continue to be amazed at his recovery.

I sincerely hope that Alana will be as fortunate.

Paws crossed.

Penny and the Piggyfriends, especially Aubrey.