[Gpdd] Health: Dunya's skin

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Dec 16 22:26:30 EST 2009

For Ivermectin, 7 to 10 days apart for a course of 2 or 3 times, is the
recommended frequency for Ivermectin when given for mites, I wouldn't give
it any closer without a vet recommendation as it is literally a poison and
stays in the body for awhile.

For a probiotic I recommend the Health Food Store or the Health Food Section
of the Supermarket, they have a refrigerator case, and keep the best
probiotic selections in there. Pick one with as many different types of
bacteria in it as you can get. Yogurt, and I think, Benebac, only have
acidophilus which is a milk or milk sugar digester so not that useful for
piggies. Some premium yogurts have several kinds of bacteria listed on the
side or top. Make sure if you insist on yogurt, that you get a plain or non
sugar kind as sugar itself promotes the growth of yeast and bad bacteria,
that's why a good probiotic is so much better. Also use non fat or at least
low fat as piggies dont eat fat either as suggestions if you still prefer
yogurt. Make sure the cultures it has in it are listed on the side and that
the label says "contains live cultures"  not just "made with" which
indicates that the cultures aren't live, dead ones dont work their magic.
Lastly with yogurts and probiotics both look for their expiration date and
note that they decline rapidly once opened. They are best kept  refrigerated
either opened or not.

If a piggy is taking antibiotics he has to be given probiotics on an
opposite schedule from his medication, i.e. if antibiotics are given at 6 am
and 6 pm then probiotics should be given at least at 12 midnight and noon.
Also give a dose before a force feeding or when any food is given as the
antibiotics continually renewed themselves, will continuously kill off the
probiotics and natural gut flora.  Just try to think of it as another food
so the giving of probiotics doesn't seem oppressive with all the other
treatments you have to do.
Good luck  and healing wheeks to all you ill piggies. Sandy and Sammy