[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Truffles not really eating

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Dec 22 09:30:41 EST 2009

I am sure that Baby Truffles is missing her mother but she must continue to
eat or she will go into gut stasis.

Any Piggyfriend that is eating poorly by themselves is always given
supplementary feeding either via syringe or by encouraging them to eat by
giving tiny strips of veggies and, like ME posted, offering dry feed.

Quite often, after a syringe feed, they will carry on and take a few strips
or some fine grass if I start them off.

I don't use Critical Care but make up a pellet slurry mixed in equal parts
with either instant mashed potato or Readybrek for the roughage. Made up
just stiff enough to hold together but still go down a 1ml. syringe with the
end cut off, this is readily accepted by most piggies.

We have all been so worried about Blossom that I have forgotten why Truffles
was not eating in the first place. I believe that you said that the vet
checked her teeth? I remember that you have been giving her probiotics.

When it is hard to guess why a piggy is not eating, first I eliminate a
tooth problem and then I often try some gas meds and painkiller whilst I am
panicking what to do next. It will not hurt a piggy to be given either of
these even if they are not required. It is no use me suggesting brand names
as I do not know what is available in Hawaii but I am sure that Sandy and
others will come up with suggestions.

Do keep up with the syringe feeding. Our friends in the US always recommend
canned pumpkin as a supplemental feed and from their posts I gather it is
available as a natural product i.e. unsweetened etc. I have never seen a can
of pumpkin so I am no authority on this. I guess that my equivalent in
England would be mashed banana, which is easy to syringe feed.

Best wishes and hugs for Baby Truffles.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.