[Gpdd] [Health] Guinea Pig with Problems

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Wed Feb 4 22:29:08 EST 2009

Dear Fiona,

I am sorry to hear about your guinea pigs problems. Have you taken
Chocolate to a vet? He should be checked out by one that specializes
in exotic animals. (I know, no one thinks of them as exotic but that
covers every animal that's not a cat or a dog).

If you can get access to Critical Care that would be the best thing
to supplement Choclate's food. He should probaby be hand fed or
supplemented with syringe feeding. Critical Care is a ground up  meal
that is specially formulated for ill guinea pigs. You mix it with
water and syringe feed.

If you don't have access to that, you can add water to pellets which
will turn it into mush. Will Cholcate eat on his own? If he is you
can soften the pellets or mix them with water to make a paste and
roll into a ball. I have found guinea pigs will eat this own their
own and enjoy it. Also give lots of fresh food like vegetables, if
he'll eat that.

You could also taking out his hutchmate for some of his feeding time
so that he can have time to eat it.

I hope this helps you.

Evelyn