[Gpdd] HEALTH: Rocky - Crusty Nose/Lips

Suzy Dünser suzy at dunser.com
Wed Feb 18 02:13:55 EST 2009

Hi Debbie, Sarah, Maren, Penny and everyone,

I think it is likely that Rocky has Cheilitis. When we went out to
feed him this morning, he had broken off most of the scabs himself,
but before that his nose looked similar to the bottom photo on the
guinealynx website. He doesn't get a lot of acidic food, just a chunk
of tomato (about the size of 2 cherry tomatoes), and no apples or
pears or citrus, but he does have pretty rough hay, and guinealynx
indicated it can start from an irritation or cut.

I went to the chemist to try to get gentian violet, and although the
didn't have it in stock they ordered it for me, so I should have it by
Friday (it's Wednesday evening here now). In the meantime I got
hydrogen peroxide, which Penny said she's also used, so as soon as my
human masters (whoops, I mean, children) are in bed I will get the
piggie and try to convince him it's a great idea for me to pick his
nose and then wipe stuff on it. I'm glad he got some of it off
himself, because it looks like it came off reasonably easily, and that
makes me less scared about doing it to him.

Anyway thanks for all of your advice, and I will keep you posted!

As for how I found the GPDD... after I got Rocky and Cocoa I went on
an information search and stumbled across it. But I did have a similar
educational experience - I had put the piggies in with our two
minilops, thinking it wouldn't be any more "infrastructure" to have
guinea pigs (never trust anyone not on the gpdd), and found myself two
days later constructing a 2-level enclosed* C&C cage (*we also have
cats, plus the cage is outside in the summer), to my husband's great
amusement... But the moment of groaning at the realisation of the
extra work of maintaining another cage has been far outweighed by the
benefit of the advice and support and friendship of the people on the
digest!

Cheers and wheeks from Suzy and Rocky
and Cocoa in our hearts