[Gpdd] health: Mike won't pee

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 19:41:38 EST 2009

Mike had another trip to the vet today for blood and urine tests,
which he hated. We should have the test results by Monday. However,
despite being given 15cc water by syringe at midday, he has not peed
in about seven hours, unless he has been exceptionally clever hiding
it. (We've checked everywhere he's been.) If this goes on much
longer, we'll call the emergency vet. He has held pee for a while
before, but this seems to be a new record.

Examination of the penis showed a drop of blood on the tip, once I
got the penis to expose, which was harder than usual. He left a drop
of blood (but no pee) on the towel I had him on for the midday feed.
He peed a little blood after his last vet visit too, which seems odd.
I washed the penis gently with warm water.

I'm hoping he'll pee on his own. But for future knowledge as well as
the present case, how long can a guinea pig go without peeing?

-ginger
worried co-slave to Mr. Mike T. Pig