[Gpdd] BEHAVIOUR Big Pigs chasing Little Benito

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Jul 10 06:49:21 EDT 2009

Hi Jocelyn,

Such lovely pigtures of little Benito.

I only ever keep my boars as pairs and have never tried a trio, although my pairs live in pens side by side with other pairs or groups of sows so they all chat though the wires. I have never recommended boars be kept as trios although you have been successful in the past. So much depends upon the nature of the piggies.

I, too, would keep the barrier up to protect little Benito and I know what my solution would be - adopt another boar as a friend for Benito and keep them as two pairs.

Or maybe, Edgeworth and Benito could pair up on one side of the barrier, with Flashbang as a next door companion. What a dilemma.

There is a little bit about trios on Barmy4Boars with links to other useful pages.

http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/trios.htm

Our Rodentologists, who have many piggies of their own, never keep trios of boars as there is always the worry about bullying, whereby one piggy may not get enough to eat as he is scared of the other two. There will always be a dominant piggy in any grouping although in many cases this is very subtle and only they know who is boss. Or a full blown war may break out when you are not there to separate the combatants with nasty results.

I would not want to risk it.

Best of luck and hugs to your piggies.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.