[Gpdd] misc: Anastasia

ANDREW SILL jaggs4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 23 17:07:34 EDT 2009

Hi, just a update of little old Anastasia,
As you know she lost the use of her legs about a month ago. We took her to the vet who said it could be a back injury or  just nerve damage, but either way the out come would be the same.We had the choice of putting her to sleep then or taking her home and helping with all her needs. I chose helping her as long as she is eating and wanting love. I honestly think her injury came from her cage mate: Athena.   Athena has this thing for resting on other guineas backs... well with Anastasia being such a old gal I think the pressure was just to much.
Now on to the update. Well so far she is doing well. We keep her in a small kids swimming pool in our room with many soft towels and fleece that is changed several times a day. She then has the luxury of having other guineas "visit" her with us watching carefully over the visit. Seems somehow the other guineas know she has a injury.. they are very careful around her, and she loves the company of them.  She takes Meloxicam for any pain and it helps with the swelling a bit. I did try her on Potters Tabritis tablets, but that really didn't seem to improve anything.
The problem we are having now is her legs thighs are swollen  I think from the  lack of activity. We take her out alot and even take her to ball games. I put her in a plastic wash bucket for dishes with soft towels in it, when we go on a "outing"  She is developing sores on her legs too. I have special creme from the Dr to put on the sores.. but I feel so bad for her.  She is such a sweet girl, such a happy go lucky gal.She always reaches up for kisses. We have to syringe her water as she doesn't want to use the water bottle at all. She was able to move around by herself for the first 5 weeks of this by dragging herself around. but now she stays in one spot. We wash her bottom  several times a day for her and I get up several times each nite for her water break.  Has anyone dealt with this sort of problem before? and any new ideas to help her would be great too:) She loves to lay on her daddy at nite she cuddles in on his chest so cute. thanks
 again for any ideas or suggestions on how to make her life easier:)
Jean (misfits)