[Gpdd] HEALTH: Interesting cause of abscess

Dana Felice dfhakes at aol.com
Mon Jun 8 22:03:54 EDT 2009

Mina is approaching her fifth birthday so I wasn't too surprised to find a
lump on her lower back.  The lump was a bit different - not round but shaped
like a Centrum vitamin.  Also, the hair in the area was sparse but I didn't
see any signs of skin irritation or mites.

I took her to see the vet today, expecting that she would have to have the
lump cut out and that it would be a typical lipoma.  The vet shaved the
area,  took a biopsy and immediately pus came out.  Dr. Hughes checked the
biopsy under a microscope and confirmed that it was an abscess, not a tumor,
and squeezed on the bump.  More pus came out, then hair!!!  Poor Mina had
ingrown hairs, which explained the sparseness of hair around the bump.  The
hair was an inch long!

I'm to dab hydrogen peroxide on the wound 2x a day for the next couple of
days.  The peroxide will eat the bacteria inside the abscess.
Unfortunately, there's a good chance that Mina will get more ingrown hairs
but I hope she feels a lot better tonight.  She was a very brave pig today.

Always get lumps and bumps checked out immediately.

Dana