[Gpdd] Health - can't use bottom jaw to bite

dinah dinahnow2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 21 04:01:29 EDT 2009

Our albino guinea pig is a 5 year old boar, Mr White, and about 4 weeks ago we realised he wasn't taking water from his bowl, or eating!  So we took him to the vet who gave him a thorough exam and said his jaw seemed fine, good side-to-side movement, and his teeth looked absolutely fine.

So he's been on metacam and syringe feeding ever since.  He's very well and happy, but is showing no improvement, unfortunately.

Has anyone had this problem?  If you offer him a favourite leaf, or a piece of grass, he can't take it, and if you poke it into his mouth, he can't chew it.  Though he chews on his syringe food steadily.

Once he would have happily 'bitten' my finger, gently or otherwise, but now he makes no attempt at all to do so.  Any ideas?   Thank you.