[Gpdd] Health: Update on Toby

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:35:17 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Toby was picked up by my boyfriend today and is home (at last, he's been at
vet overnight)!!

They have shaved the right side of his head, which looks really weird.
Thank you Stacy for commenting on the procedure.
I was to choose what to do: lance abcess, remove it completely or the option
i'm trying to forget..
I chose the complete removal of the abcess, which based on the vets story
seems the best to me,
and am glad you agree. Also sparing him the risk of having to undergo
dangerous anaesthetic again soon.

Obviously he is bothered by the wound he still has, but when he is on his
medication (meaning we have just given him a new dose), especially
painkillers it seems to improve a lot.
He is quite active and is trying very much to eat.
He ate almost a whole leaf of endive, and nibbled some chicory and also ate
a few bits of parsley.
I also saw him drink and eat hay. I think it's a very good sign even if it
takes him very long, because it probably still hurts,
even with painkillers.

We have separated chico and toby after putting them back together.
There was 'stuff' coming out of the open wound, which i think might be wound
fluids.
But just to be sure we put them in separate cages next to each other.

He will be on antibiotics and painkillers for a while, and we have gotten a
cream/ointment to put on the wound.
We'll be back next thursday for his check up.

Thanks to everyone for your support so far, especially via mail (penny!),
the piggy chatroom (stef) and twitter (kirsten, kacee, Danielle and
Janneke). All you comments so far have been very much appreciated.

Toby was very excited when i told him about the conference call the piggies
on the pirating adventure want to make to him! Thanks Glynis for letting us
know about their plans, it made me smile!

I'll keep you posted on his situation,
grtz Mieke
pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com