[Gpdd] HEALTH: Snowy Bear Update 2

DaPiggyPirates at aol.com DaPiggyPirates at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 04:26:57 EDT 2009

Dear Corrine,

     I am shaking in horror and outrage as I read your post on poor poor
little Snowy Bear. I cannot believe (but I do believe you) that your vet would
have had the nerve to have done such a radical surgical procedure without
your permission. I suppose that by the time you receive this, you'll know
whether or not it was a sound decision on her part. Did she give you any
instructions to help the bleeding. If not, call her, even if it's in the middle of
the night if her home phone is listed. Do you have something soft bedding
wise --a folded sheet or anything non-irritating to put in his cage or where
ever he sleeps -- as opposed to pine chips and the like. I use baby
receiving blankets for my guys and started the practice after an accident. If you
can stop the bleeding without causing what's left of the penis, if there is
anything remaining, to obstruct, maybe he has a chance. And do give him pain
medication.
     My adult daughter is staying with me and came out here a few minutes
ago. I told her about the situation, myself crying for you and little Snowy
Bear. She told me that that's what her vet wanted to do for her cat and
create an outlet for the urine higher up. To her regret and sadness, she did not
have the $1,200.00 for the surgery but she thinks that maybe she would have
tried it. Then again, she said, given her kitty's age, even if she'd had the
$ she's not certain that she'd have put him through surgery. So she has
some ambivalence there. But her vet has been a good one. So apparently this
practice is used for larger animals. Incidentally, she had her kitty put to
sleep because of its discomfort and obstruction though the vet had been able to
successfully treat him in the past with medications, etc. But this time the
former remedies didn't work. She still misses the kitty greatly, just as we
do our piggies when one is lost.
     But this surgical procedure on a little guinea pig? It's done now. We
can only pray that it works. Please let me know how the little guy is doing
and whether he's made it this far or not.
     Aside from the absolute horror of what she's done, had his bladder
remained obstructed and had it burst or ruptured, he would have died a very
unpleasant death.
     If he's still alive but truly miserable, not healing and declining in
health, you still have the option of helping him to the Bridge.
     Please, in no way is this your fault. I am just heartsick for you,
your hubby and particularly little Snowy Bear.
     By the way, you spoke of him running around, eating and drinking --
was that before the surgery or after it?
     The piggy pirates are sending all kinds of healing wheeks to Snowy
Bear, and I am praying for him as well -- and for you two also. What ever the
outcome, you did the best that you could based on the information you had.
You would have never, in your wildest dreams, expected her to amputate his
penis. And yet, now that it's done, I fervently pray that this experimental
surgery works.

Feeling sick inside along with you,
Alge