[Gpdd] I may lose my Baby Bear tonight.

John Zimmer jez_84 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 21 05:53:58 EDT 2009

I got Baby Bear and her mom, Mama Bear, from the Wisconsin Guinea Pig Rescue, after my Brighteyes passed away after 9.5+ years. Their original names where Arial and Xena, however, after some time I couldn't remember which was which as except for their size (Mama Bear was normal sized, while Baby Bear is less than half), so I simply renamed them. Their new names suited them much better anyway. They were both razorbacks.

I'm not sure how old either was when I got them, though, Baby Bear has to be well over five years old now. Not nearly long enough for me, though, perhaps it's her time now, too.

Last year, Mama Bear suddenly became ill. Literally fine one day and unable to use her back legs the next. As our

Vet was already closed for the day when I discovered she was ill, I was going to take her as soon as they opened the following day, however, she died in my arms that evening. The Vet figured she may have had a stroke, due to the extreme suddenness of the change and then her death.

I quickly adopted another piggy, Poppy, from the same guinea pig rescue for Baby Bear so she wouldn't be alone, as she'd always had her mother.

I'm an Adult Family Home Provider for my client whom I've lived with and take care of for nearly seven years now. One weekend a month, he goes to Respite and when he does I usually go down to my hometown, also, and the daytime person locks the house up after he leaves.

Three weekends ago, I went out of town for the Respite weekend, only this time I couldn't stop thinking about my piggies back home. I always make sure Poppy and Baby Bear have enough food and water, which they always do anyway, but I just felt a sense of dread for some reason.

When I returned two days later, I found the thermostat had been turned down to 50 degrees F., it was actually colder in the house than outside! It was an accident, as it does sometimes get "bumped" up when walking our client to/from the bathroom, only this time it had been "bumped" down and no one was there to realize it.

I immediately checked on my piggies. They seemed fine, except for watery eyes, so I knew they were chilled and had developed colds. Once the heat was back up, Poppy recovered quickly and nothing further developed.

However, Baby Bear's left eye continued to weep and became swollen with blood inside. I took her to the Vet, who checked her eye and saw a slight ulceration on the surface. She started Baby Bear on Bac/Neo/Poly Opthalmic Ointment, which I had to put on the affected eye every eight hours for one week. She also gave her an injection under the skin of Flunizamine (0.12cc) for pain, along with two prefilled syringes for me to give 24 and 48 hours later.

I could tell immediately that Baby Bear's eye was much more comfortable for her, just from the Ointment alone. And by the next day I could actually see an improvement in the appearance of her eye. I gave Baby Bear the second injection as prescribed 24 hours after her first. However, as I was holding her and cuddling her on a towel (to contain her urine and feces) I noticed a bit of blood on the towel. A short time later when I went to check on her and she moved from the spot she'd been in, I noticed more blood where she'd been sitting.

I immediately called the Vet, who was opened later that day, and reported it. She told me not to give the third injection, as she thought the Flunixamine may be causing it. I skipped the third shot and didn't see anymore signs of blood again until the day before Baby Bear's follow up visit for her eye a week later; which had almost returned to normal with the treatment of the Ointment.

After examining Baby Bear's eye, I was told to continue using the Ointment for another ten days, as it was healing very nicely though still should a very slight ulceration on the serface. I then asked the Vet if she would X-Ray Baby Bear to she if we could see what might be causing her blood in her urine, so she took two X-Rays which both showed everything was normal, no signs of bladder or kidney stones, good bone structure, and a full belly (Baby Bear does love to eat!) As she showed no signs of bleeding at the Vet's nothing more was prescribed at that time.

This brings me to today/yesterday, Friday, March 20th. When I put the Ointment on Baby Bear's eye at 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., she was her normal active self. However, when I put it in at 12 a.m., she was having difficulty with her hind legs, stuggling to use them. I picked her and her towel up to hold and cuddle with, along with some endive and romaine for her to eat. As I have a bad feeling that she might not make it through the night and I wanted to spend some quality time with her along with our Precious, my little "cat dog", who adores our little piggies.

I cuddled with Baby Bear and Precious on the sofa for two hours, while watching a movie. Baby Bear ate some of the endive and romaine, then snuggled down into the towel, with Precious' head next to hers.

I talked with her, explaining that she might be seeing her mama soon, along with Henry, another guinea pig we lost, and our sweet Lady whom also loved the piggies, and Brighteyes. All of whom are waiting at the Bridge, with all the other animals who've shared my life over the years.

I told her if she felt it was her time to go to just let go, that I, Poppy, and Precious would miss her very much but we'd all see her again in time; and that when she was reunited with her mama, it would be like no time had passed since she last saw her. Of course, I am terribly sad at the thought of losing her, she's such a sweet little piggy.

I then put her back in her's and Poppy's house, as I didn't want her to sense my sadness. I helped her into her favorite "pigloo", and told Poppy to leave her be and go into her own "pigloo", as Poppy can sometimes be a real pill.

I've been checking on them both about every hour, as I cannot sleep, for my sadness at her possible departure. I just checked on them now, and Baby Bear was resting by the water bottles, then went into the other "pigloo". She seems perky, though, her back legs are not working for her. Also, when I was cuddling with her on the sofa, I discovered the bleeding had returned, though, it's only spots.

I don't want her to suffer, and while the Vet is open until noon tomorrow, I don't know whether to take her in and get her on an antibiotic for a possible UTI, when it's obvious there is something more wrong to cause the paralysis of her hind legs...

If Baby Bear makes it through the night, I will call the Vet in the morning and see what she says. On one hand, I hate to give up, as Baby Bear has responded SO WELL to the treatment for her eye. While on the other hand, I don't want her to have to endure more than she has to either...

I will pray and leave it all in God's hands for the rest of the morning. Then I will call our Vet and see what she suggests. Sometimes, as hard and painful as it is, the best thing we can do is realize we've done our best and that it may be time to let go.

Please don't take this last part as my having given up, as I would rather have Baby Bear back in perfect health again. Also, I ask that you please keep my sweet little Baby Bear, my Precious, my Poppy, and myself in your prayers, whatever the outcome may be. I'll keep you posted.

I thank you all with all my heart and send my prayers for all of you, as well.

Sincerely,

John aka gossimer,

Ashland, WI