[Gpdd] health-teeth fixed and now he won't eat

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 27 14:28:37 EDT 2009

Hi Kelly,

I would heartily second Penny's suggestion about syringe feeding.  If Pancake's mouth was sore enough to keep him from eating before the dental work, it may take a week or so to heal, but he needs food in the meantime to keep his strength up and his little digestive system working properly.

I find that whatever is causing a piggie not to eat, they are often hungry and take to syringe feeding quite readily.  I use a 10ml syringe myself and blend up some of their favourite veggies with a slurry of their regular pellets soaked in water to make it thin enough to go through the syringe without clogging.  There is a space between the incisors and the molars at the side of their mouths that is perfect to slip the tip of the syringe into; then you just squoosh in a small mouthful at a time so they don't choke or inhale the food.  (If you know where the dental work was done in Pancake's mouth, you should try to avoid that side of the mouth if possible, and it might be best to avoid using fruit juice or anything acidic in the feeding mixture --- it could make the sore spots sting.)

When I have had to syringe feed in the past, I find the piggies are often quite enthusiastic about it and sometimes suck the mixture right out of the syringe, once they get a taste and realize that it's food in there and they don't have to chew it.  Do try it --- it's one of the most helpful things you can do for a sick piggie!

                                          Pat S.

                                          (with Doris, Audrey & Olivia)