[Gpdd] Health: piggies at shelter

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Mar 28 06:08:34 EDT 2009

Mieke,

Oh, the poor little piggies. Their owners should be ashamed of themselves
and not allowed to take the piggies home after their holiday.

They could very well be suffering from mites. Whenever a new Piggyfriend
arrives I give them a mite treatment straight away as they have often come
from rotten, uncaring homes and could be bringing along all kinds of
passengers. I also worm them and give them a jolly good bath. Do you have
any Ivermectin to hand? Even if they do not  have mites it will not hurt to
give them a dose. Mine comes in a dropper bottle which dispenses one drop at
a time and the dose for an adult piggy is 2 drops. If you are able to start
them of on a course of treatment be sure to tell the vet what you have done
as you will not want him to overdose them on Monday. A full course is 2
drops every 10 days for three treatments in all.

A good shampoo will make them feel so much better and remove all those
matts. It is far easier to remove matts in a wet coat and if they have
longer hair you can cut off any offending bits. Give their nails a trim,
once they are clean enough for you to see what you are doing.

The poorly foot could be an abscess, could be the dreaded bumblefoot, could
need a course of antibiotics. I'd need to see it to be sure. If I can't get
to my Rodentologist immediately, in case of doubt I start a course of
Septrin and go on from there.

The lumps could be many things, hopefully only lipomas ( benign fatty lumps
which you can move around under the skin much as you describe ) but that is
best left for the vet's diagnosis.

It will be terrible for them to have to be given back. I would give the
owners a piece of my mind when they came to collect them and hope that they
refuse to take them home. Then I would take them home myself.

Best of luck with the little guys. Keep us posted.

Penny and the Piggyfriends, furious at people that do not care for precious
piggies.