[Gpdd] Health: piggies at shelter

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 19:11:20 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Tonight we got two boy piggies in the shelter, who are staying with us for
about 10 days
while their owners are on holiday.
They came in their own cage, which is very dirty, the bottom of it seems to
be covered in
poops that are all stuck together... eeeuw
Then one of our volunteers took them out...
The piggies both have scabs on their skin, and it hurt them when we touched
them to see
what it was... Any suggestions what this might be? I'm guessing it's
mites...
One piggy has a swollen front paw, is it possible for him to have an abcess
there?
He also has other lumps, one on his side, and his hair looks very matte...
Nails are long, lumps feel pretty hard/solid and can be moved/pushed around
in place....

Any suggestions on what to do are welcome.
We are most likely taking them to the vet this monday!
I'm just wondering what I can do in the mean time...

Thank you for your help!
Mieke of the Winky girls and Valentine boys (who are lucky to have found
me... they hated the shelter!)
pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com

Blog: http://pandameisje.hyves.nl