[Gpdd] Health: Oral trush

DaPiggyPirates at aol.com DaPiggyPirates at aol.com
Mon May 25 03:33:40 EDT 2009

Carole,

     There is a liquid "Swish and Swallow" medication for thrush available
in this country (USA), with a doctor's prescription. It is for people and is
called "Nystatin." The dosage on my bottle says 10 mls (oh, I forgot to
check the frequency but I think its 2 to 3 times a day). Earlier prescriptions
may have been a more general dosages, such as a teaspoon or two. This is not
for guinea pigs but for people, and thrush or candida and be caused by
antibiotics. I do not know if probiotics would prevent thrush though yogurt is
used (as a probiotic) by a lot of people (self included) when taking
antibiotics to treat or prevent thrush and/or gastro-intesinal problems from the
antibiotics.
     I am on antibiotics all the time and apparently thrush can travel
through at least part of the system. (Otherwise it would be "Swish and Spit,"
wouldn't it?)   I also take diflucan on a daily basis at times. (I am
sometimes on more than one antibiotic. I have an immune deficiency disorder along
with the lousy lungs.   :(    )
     I had complained to doctors in the dim past that my respiratory
infections seemed to give rise to a mouth infection. They all Foo-Foo-ed me. And
then finally there was one who said, "Oh yes, that's because of the
antibiotics. I can give you something for that." Bless that man!
     And so here I am.
     IF it is safe for a piggie, I would syringe a tiny bit into his mouth,
enough so that he could swallow it, then, using your cotton bud, coat as
much as you can reach on the inside of his mouth, -- gums, teeth, tongue, roof
of mouth. (That's what's achieved in people by swishing it around.)
     Strangely its been two or three years since I've had to use this
product, but a recent dental infection and the addition of a second antibiotic
(one I generally avoid but who can recognize the names of all the generics?)
caused me to need it. I called my doc, not this dentist, but a good dentist
might be a good source of info on it.   Anyway, it's because of that recent
infection that I happen to have a bottle here and could check the label for
proper name and dosage. So maybe good things can come from bad things.
     I so hope this can lead you in some good direction. I'd love to hear
that you've got things turned around for little Artie.
     I, for one, can tell you, trush, in my expeience, HURTS. For me it's
like a burning or stinging pain (it may be different for others) and the
Nystatin is at once soothing.

All best to the little guy,
Alge    and "da piggy pirates"