[Gpdd] HEALTH: Puff's new vet and mite treatment

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 4 18:20:58 EDT 2009

I had a feeling that we were to go to a different vet's, a major reason being that I'm not sure I could walk through the doors of the other vets' without sobbing. I had a very good feeling about Dr. Sanchez, having heard of her skills from techs she works with. She works at two different offices, doing a lot of exotics surgeries. The other office she works at is run by my all-time favorite vet who saw me through a lot of illness when I had birdsback when my driving wasn't so limited. After meeting Dr. Sanchez, I'm pretty sure we'll stick with her. She cleaned out Hershey's ears, administered a carefully measured dose of Revolution. She couldn't guarantee Revolution's affect on EC, as they usually use albendazole, but, since the drops are in the same family as ivermectin, there's a good chance it will. I like the fact that she was honest about not knowing.

She determined Puff was quite underweight at (Yipee! More Critical Care!!), and we talked at length about bun diseases. She made it clear that Bun and Puff are not to be housed in the same room--yes, she does belive it was E cuniculi that killed poor Hershey, and we talked about other precautions like sterilizing Bun's litterbox regularly. We also discussed bordetella risks, and that titres are usually run in pairs over time to see where the disease is headed, or, if symptoms outbreak, more often.

She spent quite awhile examining Puff's privates and got nothing to protrude, but she still questions Puff's sex. Doesn't matter; her cage is decked out in blue. The tech fell in love with Puff. She has chinchillas, but they don't seem to be as interactive with her as piggies. The office staff, when they heard Puff the Magic Piggie's name called, all had to see her and gushed over her. I think we left there with a couple people hankering for piggies. One gal said she got her first one and it will certainly not be her last.

The vet and tech handled Puff with kindness and respect, and I felt respected as well. It was a very positive experience (for a change). Even better, Puff's already stopped scratching.

We'll go back in a couple weeks for the next dose.

Thanks for listening to the rambling of a new piggie mom,
Joanie