[Gpdd] [MISC] Hellos to Julie & Sandy

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 21:32:00 EDT 2009

Dear Allison, Well then, you may know all this but I will repeat for
newcomers.  Bonding is best started in a neutral place, I have a walk-in
shower, and I put a huge salad in the middle. The piggies should be hungry.
There will be lots of activity; rumblestrutting, jockeying for position,
teeth chattering,  nose and butt touching, even mild fighting, mounting etc.
One has to become the kingpin, the other, acceptance as the second member of
the pair.  Let them go through all this, sit very close, don't leave for a
minute, but dont talk or distract them, they have to work through this, your
only role is the setup and then rescue if necessary. If a real fight breaks
out, not a skirmish, immediately throw a thick towel over them, console
anyone who is upset. Then put them back in their cages, side by side, and
try again, even many times, unless huge fights break out immediately every
time.  With Sammy (who was just a tiny mote) and Manny, a great hairy
monster in comparison, all the above happened except no real fight, the end
was when Manny mounted Sammy ( who disappeared) for just a second,  then Sam
went around and incredibly, mounted Manny  (a mouse on elephant moment),
both events a millisecond with no other "activity"  After that they
companionably turned to the salad which they had noticed before. I think
they got the necessary parts over with quickly so they could eat. This was
the very "easy scenario" there are middle ones, and ones that never resolve.
If you are successful, then the happy couple must move into a suitably large
cage, 2 need a lot more room than one, and to prevent bullying, there should
be 2 of everything in the cage down to 2 water bottles, pigloos, food dish,
hay piles, everything.  Lotsa luck with your pair  Sandy and Shipwreck Sam