[Gpdd] Gpdd [CARE] [Bedding, etc.]

ellen garrison elmga at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 17 08:21:21 EDT 2009

Hi Jocelyn, et al,

There is something very similar to Carefresh which costs about half as much.  It's called Critter Care, and it is almost the same consistency.  It is made by Absorption Corp. www.absorptioncorp.com   toll-free number: 1-800-242-2287.  Wal-Mart in the US sells it.  It's states it is earth friendly.

Also, I often use something else called Crown Animal Bedding, which is made from recycled natural paper fiber, made into pellets.  It comes in a 40 lb. (18.14 Kg.) strong paper bag which is string-sewn at both ends, is sold at farm and feed stores, and is manufactured by Stutzman Environmental products in Canby, Oregon.  A bag is apprx. $13.00 US.  It lasts longer than the Critter Care.  I know that Carefresh has gotten expensive--I used to use that when I had pet mice, then I just started using newspaper.

I still use newspaper, too, to line their cages.  Also wheee use it as paper plates to serve the guinea pigs their daily 8 oz. each of fresh vegies (usually I try to follow the guidelines of Peter Gurney when it comes to vegies.)

I also, (sigh), use clean towels for one side of their cages.  Our rule of thumb is: 1) that their cage bases are washed with hot water and dish soap about once a weeeek.  2) Cage tops wiped down if necessary with a hot soapy rag.  3) Cage bases disinfected monthly with hot water and plain bleach.  4) Tops washed with hot water and dish soap and rinsed well.  5) Everything rinsed well.

As for the towels, if they are very wet they are changed every day. Otherwise it's every other day. One of my piggies, one of the babies, Hina'u, drinks tons of water so he pees a lot.  I am hoping this is not a sign of something like diabetes?

Anyway, I know, too, that animals are affected by our vibrations that we emit, so I encourage myself to just relax and trust the process, because all I can do or anyone can do is care for them to the best of our abilities, and whee don't have a long time here with them so whee may as well enjoy it as much as possible, yes? I have also come to the belief that animals do not fret and worry like humans do.  They are so talented at just making peace with where they are, and they seem to have come into this life because they enjoy life, which is what life is supposed to be all about, yes?

The piggies are such a relief and a comfort to have around.   When I wash the towels I try to always use bleach and double rinse.  And not overdo it with the laundry soap!