[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hershey holding her own against stasis

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 17 15:13:00 EDT 2009

The first really reassuring change occurred this morning with Hershey; she was eating her hay and she drank a lot of water. I haven't seen much of these activities in quite awhile, especially the drinking. Of course, I can't say she's out of the woods just yet (especially with her tummy still distended), but I'm taking every ounce of encouragement I can get out of this. It's funny how much joy a cuddle cup full of droppings can bring!
My husband Gary might just be a piggie whisperer. He can get Hershey to take her meds, pretty much unrestrained, and he's quite the tummy massage expert. We still have over a wheek of meds, so it'll be great having his help.
I was glad to know that simethicone can be taken several times a day. I'll definitely be doing that. Fortunately, the vet left me a few hypodermic needles that I use to pierce the gel capsule of the Gas-Ex. I squeeze the contents into the syringe attached to the needle (held upside down so the fluid will flow into it), remove the needle, and syringe the yummy, mint-flavored fluid into my princess' cute, pink mouth.
Keep the advice and prayers coming, and I will keep you informed.
Joanie