[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hershey's clogged

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 14:23:26 EDT 2009

Have you been reading the article I sent  last night to the list titled
e.c.?  The Metacam is very necessary and its much less likely to cause
stomach problems than any other pain reliever/anti inflammatory.  The
problem is much more likely she ran low of water not the Metacam hurting
her, her brain needs that anti inflammatory effect to fight the damage from
the parasite off.  I am glad her neurological symptoms are going away, but
that's partly the anti-inflammatory work of the Metacam so dont cut it out.
Plus she is very sensitive to pain and part of her improvement is due to not
being in pain, when she hurts she's less likely to eat and drink, again
giving the parasite a chance to rear up again. Penny's article from the
breeder links the rise of e.c to being dehydrated, it makes it easier for
the parasite to get into cells. So hydration is key to fighting e.c. and
keeping her stasis from coming back. Dont beat yourself up for loss of
syringe for 1 day, just pick it up again, it just shows you how important it
is!

Sounds like you have done an excellent job of training her to be a good
patient, coming to the cage bars for water syringes, how wonderful!!

Also is she still on Cisapride?  if not, did you taper her off, if not that
would clog her and put her back into stasis? So its not just the loss of
some water if she's not on a Cisapride or Reglan or if it's not tapered off
when quitting. Remember stasis is a symptom more than a separate disease.
Metacam is necessary part of treating stasis because stasis hurts. Have you
switched to Reglan? Keep these 2 , clearly still needed.

Is she still on flagyl?  What is her weight and her dosage? Did you have a
chance to read what I wrote about side effects of flagyl?  Will your vet
switch to Panacur or oxibendazole? She needs to be on an anti parasitic/anti
helmetic for several weeks.

I still recommend the Baytril as well  It's the 3 drugs together that cure
her and repair the damage done, plus keep up the Vit C, you can crush a
chewable and put it in the syringe water. Repairing the damage is what
allows her to bounce back to her old self, sometimes the body's regenerative
power just needs a little boost.  : ))

It's a long hard row to hoe to get over this illness, you will make slip
ups, you cant help it, none of us can, just pick up and keep going, your
ability to keep going is that extra ingredient that will see her through
this. Have you noticed how every day she loves you more?  Do whatever it
takes to keep her hydrated, if she's not to gassy maybe she should be eating
romaine, make sure its dripping wet, that helps.See what the vet says, start
out slowly and very wet.  Keep up the Gas-X (simethecone) if she is still
gassy.  Feel her stomach every day, twice a day is better, the gentle tummy
massage helps keep the gut working food to the poop chute, same with gas,
its a wonderful treatment, also the warmth treatments to her belly, and
holding her so her hind end is higher than her front, just as Dana Kremples'
article at http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html , it gives many
wonderful hints on helping her though this. The sub Q's are a good idea
since her poops are small and hard again unless she has so much she feels
sloshy, that would mean her kidney's cant handle the volume of water, but
the best indicator is the moist poops, that's when she's getting enough
water.

Sorry these seem to be so long, its just that all her treatments and meds
are interconnected, you have to keep going with the whole boat load for a
while. You see that as how quickly she slipped back toward stasis, dont
discontinue the Metacam, that and the simethicone will be the last to go
along with the antiparasitic.

Have the vet check her front and back teeth to see if her teeth have
overgrown due to eating less hay, this could account for noisy water bottle
sounds and why she might be inefficient at drinking. if your vet doesn't
know about g.p. teeth we can provide her with that info, but she would need
a tool called bucol(sp?) separators to do the treat teeth, make sure she has
them.

It's wonderful she's still going, its all your fault : ))),  : )))   Sandy
and Sammy

Joanie wrote:
" This morning Hersh was very noisy, as she was yesterday, but she didn't
want to eat. It finally occurred to me that some water might help, which is,
indeed what she wanted, and she drank most of the morning. I didn't think
she'd need it, as the water in her drinking tubes was lowering, but I
suspect she's still not drinking efficiently and that most of it went to
waste. She certainly was giving it a try! She sure is efficient with the
syringe. I feel terribly for not syringing her yesterday. Now we're back to
no droppings. Augh! If only............. clip........
I also need to know if I'm to discontinue the metacam, which can affect the
gut. I wish I could give her greens, but I'm waiting an okay for that, too"