[Gpdd] HEALTH: Isis needs to gain some weight!

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Sep 29 17:51:36 EDT 2009

Hi Angela,    Isis' weight loss and hunger and thirst are a symptom of the
hormone imbalance she has because of her ovarian cysts. I must ask, are you
treating her with hormones, actually it may be HGH, somewhere in the
archives is the name of the one she needs.  However she has had these cysts
for a very long time and there is a distinct possibility is should say
probability, that they will grow to the point of putting too much pressure
on nearby organs, or they may develop cancer.

The best cure is surgery, but she is now much older.  It will cure her is
she lives through it, and to make this more probable you need to find  an
expert exotics surgeon, we can help you find one. Even the choice of
anesthesia and it's delivery is are critical as is her post-op care, she
should be on Reglan before and after surgery to minimize gas, which
minimizes bloating and gas, which minimizes the pressure put on the
stitches, which prevents itching, which prevents her from wanting to scratch
and bite at the stitches. And there must be stitches, not glue, not
steristrips, not staples, 2 layers deep of real stitches.

The other option is the hormone treatment.  If the cysts haven't been
treated directly no doubt they have grown, and the hormone imbalance
stimulates metabolic imbalance that puts her in high gear, she is quite
literally burning up, burning both food and water in a vain attempt to keep
up with her new metabolism. Of course dont try to withhold food or water, 2
or more water bottles, etc. I would add some alfalfa to her diet, more
calories, unless she prone to stones.

Now lets talk about treating her symptoms. The smelly poops.  Acidophilus is
on the map but the wrong road. Vets use Benebac which has one or 2 more
bacteria in it than acidophilus which is only good for digesting milk and
piggies dont eat milk. I think it best to go to the health food store and
ask the clerk or read labels of the refrigerated products, to find the one
that has the most different kinds.  I've even heard that Beano helps if she
is gassy, but I have never used it. Avoid ones that have sorbitol. a sugar
alternative, in it because it causes gas, and in high enough doses,
diarrhea.

Or.  if you know of a healthy pig who has had a couple of doses of
Ivermectin in the last few months to make sure no parasites are passed, then
you can try to retrieve a healthy cecotrope from that pig, mash it with a
bit of water and feed her, or try to get her to take it straight off. This
has to be repeated (as does the probiotics) well past the time her gut
health is restored.

This is a very common disease in female piggies, the best thing to prevent
is a spay at a young age, but really there are few vets experienced enough.
Because of the growth of the cysts and the metabolic changes, which will
continue to escalate, she will eventually die of this, unless surgery is
successful, (but she may be too old and unhealthy) or if the hormone
treatment works well for her.  I would try to find the hormone treatment,
but if the cysts have turned cancerous it wont work for long. Cancer in
piggies is not usually successfully treated unless its a cancer on a leg
that can be amputated in time.

These comments are based on guinea pigs, not the rabbit medicine that I had
to lean on for the e.c. discussion of the last few weeks. FYI, female house
rabbits are routinely spayed by their first year as degenerative changes
occur starting very early, often by two years old. Its possible their is a
correlation between the two species, I.E. both very commonly suffer this
degenerative change. House rabbit and our pigs often live much longer than
their sisters and brothers living in household or breeder populations as we
get them vet care, and study and develop best practices, so our pets live
long enough for these change to show up. Her age now is tribute to your
great care.

If no treatment is found then I suggest just support her as well as you can
as long as she is finding enjoyment in life, there may come a time when a
decision about helping her to the bridge is preferable for her.  Keep track
of her weight, and consult with a great vet if you dont have one, Oh! how I
love being wrong esp. when a new treatment has come along that can save her.
BTW I did spay a 5 year old sow and it went great till 10 days out when we
ran out of Reglan, she was a very gassy piggy and her gas came back, she
itched, and then ate through her stitches. I did have a great surgeon he
tried to repair her, but she had eaten through her own bowel, he attempted a
resection but it was too late.
Since then we have discussed inventions of a type of Elizabethan collar on
this forum that's not a stiff paper ot plastic cone, but more like a thick
scrunchie worn around the neck, it doesn't drive the piggie nuts so is much
more successful

I do wish you and her  good luck and pray you will be able to make her
comfortable, (of course keep up the meloxicam)and even find a cure.  Enjoy
one another while she's here, 5 years is a very respectable age for a piggy
of course we cant help but want them around much longer. I hope you will
keep in touch with us and share your experiences good and bad so we can
learn more for other piggies and we can share what we find. Dear little
Isis, bless her.