[Gpdd] HEALTH More about e.cuniculi

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Sep 30 23:10:12 EDT 2009

Dear Penny   This article isn't dated but contains references from the
1970's up to 2004 being the latest, so its an early article, BUT, it shows
increasing awareness of the problem over that time.  It doesn't really get
into a cure except to mention problems with one of the drugs causing failure
of bone marrow.  the first page mentions piggies, and people, plus dogs etc
read this  from your article as follows
"The first mammalian infections were described in rabbits in the 1920's, and
the infection was recognized in humans in the 1950's, with increasing
reports during the 1980's related to the AIDS pandemic. Microsporidia are
now also thought to be a cause of diarrhoea in children and travellers
E.cuniculi may also be found in other mammal species, including rodents,
guinea pigs, foxes, monkeys, cats, dogs, sheep, goats, pigs, llamas and
snakes in  1979,  in 1985, 1993,  2003. " I clipped the references for
brevity but left the date, but they are in the main article

" It is likely that E. cuniculi infections in rabbits pose a zoonotic risk
to immunocompromised humans. Close contact between owners and susceptible
pet species could lead to an increase in human exposure to the parasite.
Infection in humans is thought to be from the environment following
contamination with spores from other infected humans or animals. "  This
zoonotic effect (Bun to human infection) may be scary to some, but on my 2
years of reading etherbun I never heard this identified or worried about.

The main value is it tells how to make the titre test useful by taking 2
tests 4 weeks apart, and of course that a high titre with active symptoms
indicates an active infection, it also points out that a bun can be a
carrier or may have just been exposed. Also the percentage of rabbits
infected over time goes up, and newer articles than this one place it as
much as 80% in some populations

I was happy /relieved to see on the first run through it didn't contradict
anything I said, except with the possibility that 2 titre test may shed more
light on whether there is an active or developing infection, which was a
learning point for me.The articles on www.medirabbit.com and www.rabbit.info
are newer but not so explicit in some areas but in others give more specific
details on symptoms and treatments

After that first mention of guinea pigs it doesn't talk about them again and
its weak on symptomology and current treatment, in buns and nothing about
pigs. So again, if it happens with any frequency in piggies it may be us
that can find it . I'm sure more will come up on further read, thank you for
adding to out knowledge base, well done.  Sandy