[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Gingerpuff flakey stuff in hair

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Fri Apr 2 15:31:51 EDT 2010

Dear Mary Fran,
It is difficult from your description to determine what is in
Gingerpuff's hair. Also has Gingerpuff been regularly wormed with
Ivermectin and Panacur or Valbazen? Also is she bathed once a month in
an insecticidal shampoo such as Adams Flea and Tick shampoo that
contains 0.15% Pyrethrins or d-limonene? You do not want to get the
Adams shampoo that has flea egg hormone growth inhibitor in it.
My first inclination is that it is a fungal problem. I would suggest
that you bathe your piggy in the anti-fungal shampoos Nizoral or T-Gel
shampoo, once a week for 3 weeks. Keep the lather on for 10 minutes and
also work the lather into the inside of the ears. I also would bathe her
in Adams flea and tick shampoo once a week for 3 weeks. Thus on day 1, 7
and 21 bathe in Adams shampoo. Then on days 2, 8 and 22 bathe her in an
antifungal shampoo. Most importantly you must clean out her cage and
everything in it to get rid of any spores or eggs or live parasites.
By the way whenever a new piggy arrives at Piggyville it is put into
quarantine and undergoes this bathing routine along with worming for
internal and external parasites on day 1 and 10.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.