[Gpdd] Care: Weird Wheeking!

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Aug 4 00:15:03 EDT 2010

Dear Deb,  I too hate the idea that some kind of distress may trigger the
singing, which others have called chirping. No doubt each piggy has a
slightly different voice. Peter was very birdlike, and its beauty was
ethereal and spellbinding.

Maybe we anthropomorphize our feelings to much.  maybe Winnie was singing
about how beautiful natures lightning was, maybe Peter sang a love song to
Pedro that says something like "I cant wait until I see you again", but I
dont think so although I am open to the possibility that strong emotion,
positive or negative can cause a piggy to break into song.  One thing just
doesn't make sense though. If they are scared from a situation the last
thing I can think of is to break out in song. The singing makes all the
other piggies stand stock still and listen so its seems if there was danger
it would make them much more vulnerable as prey animals. That's what makes
me think of it as most likely an expression of emotion only, not danger.
That makes our piggies very special in terms of the animal world. The only
other singers are people who express emotion in these times, primarily love.
Birds sing to attract mates, maybe for more reasons. The idea of a guinea
pig singing seems so very incongruous, but everyone who has heard has felt
honored to have witnessed it. I will be interested on what Ann has to say.
Sandy and Sammy (what's this bird like singing about? I do bawdy pirate
songs)