[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Acid, alkaline and calcium

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Feb 7 21:23:53 EST 2010

Dear Ellen and the GPDD family,

I have not been keeping up with the digest lately since my home is
undergoing major re-modeling.  This includes both bathrooms. All the
tile except in the kitchen is being taken up and replaced with bamboo.
The entire house from the ceilings to the baseboards is being painted.
Thankfully I have a caviary so the piggys are in their own home away
from all this mess. I also volunteer at Dr. Bonsack's office and see up
to 15 cavies/week along with caring for my own rescued cavies and my
adorable husband.
Regarding cavies pH. Their urine is alkaline. The pH is usually between
8.0-8.5. I mentioned that cavies kidneys have a difficult time handling
too much acid in the blood. This was in reference to using Methigel to
help reduce the formation of calcium carbonate stones in cavies. Piggys
naturally excrete excess calcium into the urine and thus the urine
naturally has calcium crystals in it. Acidifying the urine with methigel
or vitamin c, or cranberry juice or hydrangea root extract may help
dissolves the calcium crystals. These crystals are usually flushed from
the bladder when the cavy urinates. However high levels of calcium in
water can cause more calcium to be excreted into the urine. The crystals
are attracted to each other and can form stones. This is a very
simplified explanation, there are many methods of stone formation. It is
recommended that the water you give your cavies should contain 4.0 mg/L
or less of calcium. I buy 1 gallon spring water that has been filtered
by reverse osmosis. It contains 0.03 mg/L of calcium. This is the same
amount of calcium in the premium spring bottled waters. The one gallon
jugs I buy here is Florida come from Silver Springs and cost 88
cents/gallon. Cavies need to drink a minimum of 40 ml of water/day and
should drink about 90 ml of water/day. Of course they get some of their
water from the fruits and vegetables that they are fed. I hope this has
cleared up any confusion I may have caused.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.