[Gpdd] HEALTH: dosages for ivermectin and panacur

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 11 17:44:36 EST 2010

I went to the feed store to get my first dosages of wormers, but the percentages were not the same as we were given in the recent GPDD message, which called for 1% ivermectin or 2.5% panacur (fenbendazole). All I could find was 1.55 and 1.87% ivermectin and 10% panacur. That throws all the measurements off. So, my question is, if you had a six month old piggie, weighing approximately 1.75 lb (with some wiggle factor), can you use any of these formulations, and, if so, how much and how often for a first series?

I'm starting to get away from the mentality that I have to wait for a vet's blessing, thanks to you guys. The bottom line is that animals, both wild and domestic, can poop or pee in the hay that's later packaged for our piggies' use, and external parasites can hitch a ride in hay as well. I meticulously wormed my horses when I had them, every three months in a three way rotation, the third being pyrantel, as I recall. I'm seeing now that my piggie deserves the same precautions. Now if I can just get the dosages...

I'm also putting together my piggie medicine cabinet for those weekends when the vet's unavailable to provide supportive care. So far, I have kiddy imodium, benadryl, ibuprophen, Gas-ex, grippe water, and pedialyte. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Joanie