[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Ivermectin and panacur

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Feb 14 11:30:28 EST 2010

Ivermectin 1.0% for injection can be ordered online. This is a very
potent drug and you are using a very small amount for preventative
worming. You use only 0.1 ml. Let me be very clear you can overdose your
cavy with Ivermectin if you give the wrong amount. 0.1 ml equals 2 drops
of Ivermectin.  That is the smallest marking on a 1.0 ml syringe. A cavy
that weighs more than 2000g can be given 0.2 ml of 1.0% Ivermectin.
Ivermectin regular or Super can be used. Ivermectin is expensive and
usually comes in 50 ml bottles. Maybe if several cavy lovers live close
to each other they can share a bottle. You want to use only the
Ivermectin 1.0% solution. Panacur is a suspension. When you give 0.4 ml
of a 2.5% suspension of Panacure the dose given is 10 mg. Therefore if
you have a 10% suspension of Panacur then you would give 0.1 ml. Make
sure to shake the bottle well, pour some into  a small container , draw
up into the syringe and administer immediately. You do not have to worry
about overdosing your piggy on Panacur. What you do not want to do is
dilute the panacur down to 2.5% because it is a suspension. It is
difficult to dilute suspensions accurately. To my knowledge Panacur is
not sold in the USA at a concentration of 2.5%. My vet tried to order it
and could not get it. I buy mine when I go to England or order it online
from the UK. You can buy it online from PCP Direct Pharmacy
http://www.pcpdirect.co.uk/index.asp

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.