[Gpdd] HEALTH: Best Bedding for Senior Piggies with Sore Feet, Etc.

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 27 15:43:56 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

My elder piggie Doris has had problems with sore feet on and off for several years, but for some reason, this time I'm having a harder time than usual getting it under control, and could really use some pointers.

I first noticed that her back feet were looking sore and a bit swollen (she's never had any open sores or anything that bad) several weeks ago, but usually a week of changing her bedding (fleece blankets) extra frequently (to make sure she isn't standing on a damp or urine-soaked patch) and soaking her feet in warm water with a bit of chlorhexidine once a day will improve matters greatly.  That has not been enough this time; they are a little better but not completely back to normal, so I'm looking for other things that might help.

If you have elder piggies, what sort of bedding do they live on?  Mine have all been on the fleece blankets all along so I haven't really experimented much (they all live in NIC cube cages with chloroplast under the fleece).  The fleeces are normally changed and washed every two or three days, depending on how much the piggies use their litterboxes for peeing (my new girlie Apple almost never pees anywhere but her litterbox so her fleeces can go longer without changing than Doris and Olivia's) and how much ends up on the fleece (poops are swept up once or twice a day).  I would be happy to change my system if anyone has a bedding that would be more gentle on little Doris' feet, though...

Just watching her move, I am also thinking she may have a bit of arthritis.  I tried her on a bit of metacam once a day for a week and she definitely perked up and moved around more easily, but I'm nervous about using that as a long-term thing.  I remembered that Penny had recommended children's Nurofen, so I have been trying that for the past two days --- it doesn't seem to be working quite as well for Doris as the metacam, but if it's easier on her tummy, it could be safer for long-term use.

I know of quite a few rabbits who have been on metacam long-term (sometimes for years) for arthritis without problems, but I haven't heard so much about piggies.  Has anyone tried it over a longer period?  I have been careful to only give it when I knew she had foot in her tummy, but if you know of any extra safety measures, I'd be glad to hear about it.  (I'm also trying to find a North American source for Potter's Tabritis, so if you live in North America and have ever bought it, please let me know!)

I have a couple of days off next week and it's supposed to be warmer out by then, so I am going to try to get Doris in to the vet for a general check-up as well. (I've talked about the foot problem with the vet before, but her only suggestion was the Chlorhexidine soak.)  This vet has done well by my piggies, but she is not by any means a rodentologist-type expert and she has always been quite nervous about using pain medication in general (whereas knowing that my animals are not in any unnecessary pain is a bit of an obsession for me!)

So, any suggestions?  I know people have used quite a range of different bedding and housing set-ups, so whatever keeps your elder piggies dry and comfy (and as pain-free as possible) ---- please let me know!  Thanks in advance ---

                                                                               Pat S.
                                                                               (mum-slave to Doris, Olivia & Apple)

P.S.  Have any other overseas or Canadian folks used the Cavy Madness website to donate to the Barnacle Bill transportation fund?  I could use some tips about that too!