[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Bumblefoot and hydrogen peroxide

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Jan 4 11:01:21 EST 2010

Dear Sandy
Yes hydrogen peroxide is ok to use on open sores. In fact in the UK
hydrogen peroxide comes in 6.0% concentration compared to the 3.0% which
is sold in the USA. I personally always use povidone iodine 10%
(Betadine solution) after the hydrogen peroxide flush since it has both
anti fungal and anti biotic properties.
I am aware that there are differing opinions  regarding using hydrogen
peroxide to clean wounds. Some vets prefer to use Chlorhexidine skin
cleansers instead of hydrogen peroxide. Whatever ones uses it is
important to clean the wound throughly before packing the wound with
healing ointment. I only use hydrogen peroxide on foot sores. Abscess
are flushed first with sterile solution and then with Baytril or Flagyl.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.